We’ve been told how important a healthy morning breakfast is to start the day a gazillion times. However, many people either don’t like eating breakfast or skip it due to their hectic morning start. Another reason may be to reduce calorie intake, such as when following a fasting-style diet.
Whatever your reasons, the good news is especially for people trying to lose weight, is that the Mediterranean diet is not a fad diet and will help you lose weight even if you eat breakfast!
It is a very natural diet and very sustainable, a lifestyle diet in the most literal sense. You can follow this diet for life. It has minimal caloric restrictions, if at all. You are not left feeling hungry just after you have eaten!
If you’re ready to eat fresh, healthy meals to kickstart your day, there are so many foods to choose from. You can eat eggs any way you like, including in a frittata or omelet.
You may prefer fruits and yogurt, or oats or muesli. Or how about some avocado and soft cheese on some wholegrain bread. There are so many delicious choices.
If you want to try a few different recipes, perhaps with ingredients you may not normally use, such as little green Brussels sprouts, here are a few recipes we found that may interest you. They are guaranteed to fill you up and make you look forward to your day’s first meal.
Breakfast Hash with Sweet Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts
Recipe from the Minimalist Baker:
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total: 35 minutes
For the Sweet Potato & Brussels sprouts
1 medium to large sweet potato, chopped into bite-sized portions (leave the skin on)
3 cups Brussels sprouts (small ones halved; large ones cut into quarters)
1 tbsp Avocado oil
A pinch of sea salt and black pepper each
For the rest
2 tsp Avocado oil
½ medium onion, finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
¾ cup apple (remove seeds and stem)
1 tbsp fresh minced sage
2 tbsp dried currants (optional)
1 cup spicy chicken or pork sausage (optional)
2 cups fresh spinach
4 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C) and line a baking sheet or tray with parchment paper (greaseproof paper)
- Add sweet potatoes and Brussels sprouts to the baking sheet. Drizzle with oil, add a pinch of salt and pepper and toss. Bake for 22-28 minutes or until tender and golden brown. Toss at the halfway point to ensure even cooking.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté oil and onion for 1 minute before adding garlic, apple, sage, and currants (optional). Sauté everything for 3 minutes or until slightly golden brown.
- Add sausage of choice (optional) and sauté until golden brown or cooked for about 5-8 minutes. Stir frequently and break the sausages into smaller pieces with a spoon.
- Once sausage is cooked, add spinach and cook until wilted. Then stir in roasted Brussels sprouts and sweet potato.
- In a separate skillet, cook the eggs over a little oil (optional) for 3-5 minutes. You can also choose to make scrambled eggs as an alternative.
- Enjoy hash and garnish with fresh herbs and hot sauce.
Greek Omelette Casserole
Recipe from A Spicy Perspective:
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total: 45 minutes
12 large eggs
2 cups whole milk
8 oz. fresh spinach
2 cloves garlic, minced
12 oz. artichoke salad (with olives and peppers) – drained and chopped
5 oz. sun-dried tomato feta cheese, crumbled
1 tbsp fresh chopped dill (1 tsp dried dill)
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp lemon pepper
1 tsp salt
4 tsps olive oil, divided
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Chop the fresh herbs and artichoke salad.
- Set a skillet over medium heat and add 1 tbsp olive oil. Sauté the spinach and garlic until wilted for about 3 minutes.
- Oil a 9×13 inch baking dish and layer the spinach and artichoke salad on the dish evenly.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, milk, herbs, salt, and lemon pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture over vegetables and sprinkle with feta cheese. Bake in the center of the oven for 35-40 minutes until firm in the center.
Spinach Feta Breakfast Wraps
Recipe from Kitchn:
10 large eggs
½ lb or 5 cups baby spinach
4 whole-wheat tortillas (approximately 9” in diameter)
½ pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
4 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
Butter or olive oil
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl.
- In a large skillet, add butter or olive oil, then add the eggs to cook.
- Add the salt and black pepper then transfer to a large plate.
- In a separate skillet, add the spinach to cook, stirring until it is wilted.
- Spread the cooked spinach on another plate to cool.
- Arrange a tortilla on a work surface. Add the eggs, spinach, tomatoes, and feta in the middle of the tortilla, then wrap like a burrito. Serve or store away for reheating.
Now you have a few ideas, what ingredients are you going to add to your shopping list? You certainly don’t have to become a gourmet cook to enjoy a delicious Mediterranean-style breakfast.